Poets' Corner Home Page . News and Recent Additions
- FOLKS ain't got no right to censuah othah folks about dey habits;
- Him dat giv' de squir'ls de bushtails made de bobtails fu' de rabbits.
- Him dat built de gread big mountains hollered out de little valleys,
- Him dat made de streets an' driveways wasn't shamed to make de alleys.
- We is all constructed diff'ent, d'ain't no two of us de same;
- We cain't he'p ouah likes an' dislikes, ef we'se bad we ain't to blame.
- Ef we'se good, we need n't show off, case you bet it ain't ouah doin'
- We gits into su'ttain channels dat we jes' cain't he'p pu'suin'.
- But we all fits into places dat no othah ones could fill,
- An' we does the things we has to, big er little, good er ill.
- John cain't tek de place o' Henry, Su an' Sally ain't alike;
- Bass ain't nuthin' like a suckah, chub ain't nuthin' like a pike.
- When you come to think about it, how it's all planned out it's splendid.
- Nuthin's done er evah happens, 'dout hit's somefin' dat's intended;
- Don't keer whut you does, you has to, an' hit sholy beats de dickens,-
- Viney, go put on de kittle, I got one o' mastah's chickens.
- Paul Laurence Dunbar
Poets' Corner .
H O M E .
©2000 Poets' Corner Editorial Staff, All Rights Reserved Worldwide