Poets' Corner Home Page . News and Recent Additions
- SEE the star that leads the day
- Rising shoots a golden ray,
- To make the shades of darkness go
- From heaven above and earth below;
- And warn us early with the sight
- To leave the beds of silent night,
- From a heart sincere and sound
- From its very deepest ground,
- Send devotion up on high
- Wing'd with heat to reach the sky.
- See the time for sleep has run,
- Rise before, or with the sun,
- Lift thine hands and humbly pray
- The fountain of eternal day,
- That as the light serenely fair
- Illustrates all the tracts of air,
- The sacred spirit so may rest
- With quick'ning beams upon thy breast,
- And kindly clean it all within
- From darker blemishes of sin,
- And shine with grace until we view
- The realm it gilds with glory, too.
- See the day that dawns in air,
- Brings along its toil and care;
- From the lap of night it springs
- With heaps of business on its wings;
- Prepare to meet them in a mind
- That bows submissively resign'd,
- That would to works appointed fall,
- And knows that God has order'd all.
- And whether with a small repast
- We break our sober morning fast,
- Or in our thoughts and houses lay
- The future methods of the day,
- Or early walk abroad to meet
- Our business, with industrious feet,
- Whate'er we think, whate'er we do,
- His glory still be kept in view.
- O Giver of eternal bliss,
- Heavenly Father, grant me this;
- Grant it all as well as me,
- All whose hearts are fix'd on Thee,
- Who revere Thy Son above,
- Who Thy sacred Spirit love.
- Thomas Parnell
Poets' Corner .
H O M E .
©2000 Poets' Corner Editorial Staff, All Rights Reserved Worldwide