Poets' Corner Home Page . News and Recent Additions
- THE sun is swiftly mounted high;
- It glitters in the southern sky;
- Its beams with force and glory beat,
- And fruitful earth is fill'd with heat.
- Father, also with Thy fire
- Warm the cold, the dead desire,
- And make the sacred love of Thee
- Within my soul a sun to me.
- Let it shine so fairly bright
- That nothing else be took for light,
- That worldly charms be seen to fade,
- And in its lustre find a shade.
- Let it strongly shine within
- To scatter all the clouds of sin,
- That drive when gusts of passion rise
- And intercept it from our eyes.
- Let its glory more than vie
- With the sun that lights the sky;
- Let it swiftly mount in air,
- Mount with that*, and leave it there, [the sun]
- And soar with more aspiring flight
- To realms of everlasting light.
- Thus, while here I'm forc'd to be,
- I daily wish to live with Thee,
- And feel that union which Thy love
- Will, after death, complete above.
- From my soul I send my prayer;
- Great creator, bow Thine ear;
- Thou for whose propitious sway
- The world was taught to see the day,
- Who spake the word and earth begun
- And show'd its beauties in the sun;
- With pleasure I Thy creatures view,
- And would with good affection, too,
- Good affection sweetly free,
- Loose from them and move to Thee;
- O teach me due returns to give,
- And to Thy glory let me live,
- And then my days shall shine the more
- Or pass more blessed than before.
- Thomas Parnell
Poets' Corner .
H O M E .
©2000 Poets' Corner Editorial Staff, All Rights Reserved Worldwide