From the French of Victor Hugo
- Said the tomb to love's sweet flower,
- "Of the dews which morning's hour
- Brings to thee, what mak'st thou, pray?"
- "What mak'st thou," the rose replied,
- "Of all who through thy portal wide
- Pass beyond the light of day?"
- The the rose said: "Sombre grave.
- Of the dews which morning gave,
- Perfumes, honey-sweet, make I."
- Said the tomb: "O plaintive flower.
- Of each soul that feels my power,
- I make an angel in the sky."
- Kent Knowlton
Index to poems in the collection by Kent Knowlton