Home Page . News and Recent Additions
A B .
C D .
E F .
G H .
I J .
K L .
M N .
O P .
Q R .
S T .
U V .
W X .
- She comes not when Noon is on the roses--
- Too bright is Day.
- She comes not to the Soul till it reposes
- From work and play.
- But when Night is on the hills, and the great Voices
- Roll in from Sea,
- By starlight and candle-light and dreamlight
- She comes to me.
- Herbert Trench
- COME let us make love deathless, thou and I,
- Seeing that our footing on the earth is brief--
- Seeing that her multitudes sweep out to die
- Mocking all that passes our belief.
- For the standard of our love not theirs we take:
- If we go hence to-day,
- Fill the high cup that is so soon to break
- With richer wine than they!
- Ay, since beyond these walls no heavens there be,
- Joy to revive or wasted youth repair,
- I'll not bedim the lovely flame in thee,
- Nor sully the sad splendour that we wear.
- Great be the love, if with the lover dies
- Our greatness past recall,
- And nobler for the fading of those eyes
- The world seen once for all.
- Herbert Trench [ref 124]
Back to the Poets' Corner - Home Page .
Back to The Other Pages .
To the Guestbook
This page hosted by Geocities
Get your own Free Home Page