The Other Pages | Quotations Home Page
Quotations #17:
Alphabetical by Author

Quotation Categories | Search Suggestions

T1 - T2 - T3 - T4
    Tacitus (Gaius Cornelius Tacitus)
    (56 AD - 117 AD) Roman Senator and historian
  1. Rumor is not always wrong. [from Life of Agricola, 98 A.D.]
  2. Liberty is given by nature even to mute animals.
  3. It is the rare fortune of these days that one may think what one likes and say what one thinks. [from Histories, 110 A.D.]
  4. The desire for safety stands against every great and noble enterprise.
  5. Once killing starts, it is difficult to draw the line. [from Histories, 110 A.D.]
  6. The desire for glory clings even to the best men longer than any other passion. [from Histories, 110 A.D.]
  7. The more numerous the laws, the more corrupt the government. [from Annals, 117 A.D.]
  8. What is today supported by precedents will hereafter become a precedent. [from Annals, 117 A.D.]

9. The Talmud
    (200 AD, 500 AD) Two books of Hebrew Rabbinical Law derived from oral law, legal opinions, and debates
  10. The sun sets without thy assistance.
  11. He who loves money will not be satisfied with money.
  12. The deeper the sorrow the less tongue it hath.
  13. Sin is sweet in the beginning, but bitter in the end.
  14. Sheep follow sheep.
  15. He that gives should never remember. He that receives should never forget.
  16. Power buries those who wield it.
  17. A legal decision depends not on the teacher's age, but on the force of his argument.
  18. Don't use the conduct of a fool as a precedent.
  19. A quotation at the right moment is like bread to the famished.
  20. Mark well three things and thou wilt not fall into the clutches of sin: Know what is above thee— an eye that sees, an ear that hears, and all thine actions recorded in the book.
  21. Let your left hand turn away what your right hands attracts.
  22. For we are like olives: only when we are crushed do we yield what is best in us.
  23. Breed not a savage dog, nor permit a loose stairway.
  24. Into the well which supplies thee with water, cast no stones.
  25. For the unlearned, old age is winter; for the learned it is the season of the harvest.
  26. In a place where there are no men, strive to be a man.
  27. If silence be good for the wise, how much better for fools.
  28. Examine the contents, not the bottle.
  29. Whoever destroys a soul, it is considered as if he destroyed an entire world. And whoever saves a life, it is considered as if he saved an entire world.
  30. Trust not your own powers till the day of your death.
  31. When you teach your son, you teach your son's son.
  32. When you add to the truth,you subtract from it.
  33. Thy friend has a friend, and thy friend's friend has a friend; be discreet.

34. Savielly Grigorievitch Tartakower
    (1887 - 1956) Polish and French Chess Grand Master, and journalist covering chess; born in Russia
  35. Moral victories don't count.
  36. The blunders are all there on the board, waiting to be made.
  37. The winner of the game is the player who makes the next-to-last mistake.
  38. No game was ever won by resigning.
  39. Tactics is knowing what to do when there is something to do. Strategy is knowing what to do when there is nothing to do.

40. Elizabeth Taylor (Dame Elizabeth Rosemond Taylor)
    (1932 - ) British-American Actress; Winner of Multiple Awards; First Actor to be paid $1,000,000 for a movie
  41. Success is a great deodorant.
  42. If someone's dumb enough to offer me a million dollars to make a picture, I'm certainly not dumb enough to turn it down.
  43. It's not the having, it's the getting.
  44. The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues.

45. A. J. P. Taylor (Alan John Percivale Taylor)
    (1906 - 1990) British Historian
  46. There is nothing more agreeable in life than to make peace with the establishment and nothing more corrupting.
  47. Freedom does not always win. That is one of the bitterest lessons of history.
  48. Nothing is inevitable until it happens. [1980]

49. Sara Teasdale (Sarah Trevor Teasdale, Sara Teasdale Filsinger)
    (1884 - 1933) American Poet
    Click Here for Poems by Sara Teasdale
  50. Spend all you have for loveliness,
       Buy it and never count the cost;
    For one white singing hour of peace
       Count many a year of strife well lost,
    And for a breath of ecstacy
       Give all you have been, or could be.
    --from Barter
  51. No one worth possessing
    Can be quite possessed.
    --from Advice to a Girl

52. Shirley Temple (Shirley Jane Temple, Shirley Temple Black)
    (1928 - ) American Child Actress, Diploman, and U.S. Ambassador to Ghana and to Czechoslovakia; at one time perhaps the most recognized person in the world
  53. I stopped believing in Santa Claus when I was six. Mother took me to see him in a department store and he asked for my autograph.
  54. Good luck needs no explanation.
  55. When I was 14, I was the oldest I ever was. I've been getting younger ever since.
  56. Dr. Kissinger was surprised that I knew where Ghana was.
  57. Any star can be devoured by human adoration, sparkle by sparkle. [1989]

58. Edward Teller
    (1908 - 2003) Hungarin-born American Physicist; "father of the hydrogen bomb"
  59. Life improves slowly and goes wrong fast, and only catastrophe is clearly visible.
  60. When you fight for a desperate cause and have good reasons to fight, you usually win.
  61. A fact is a simple statement that everyone believes. It is innocent, unless found guilty. A hypothesis is a novel suggestion that no one wants to believe. It is guilty, until found effective.
  62. Two paradoxes are better than one; they may even suggest a solution.
  63. I tried to contribute to the defeat of the Soviets. If I contributed 1%, it is 1% of something enormous.
  64. No endeavor that is worthwhile is simple in prospect; if it is right, it will be simple in retrospect.

65. Alfred Lord Tennyson
    Click Here for Poems by Tennyson
    (1809 - 1892) Influential English Poet; England's Poet Laureate from 1850-1892
  66. I am a part of all that I have met. [from Ulysses, 1842]
  67. I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost
    Than never to have loved at all.
    [from In Memoriam, 1849]
  68. Cleave ever to the sunnier side of doubt,
    And cling to Faith beyond the forms of Faith!
    [from The Ancient Sage, 1885]
  69. I said, "I toil beneath the curse,
    But, knowing not the universe,
    I fear to slide from bad to worse.
    [from The Two Voices, 1842]
  70. For I dipped into the future, far as human eye could see,
    Saw the Vision of the world, and all the wonder that would be;
    [from Locksley Hall, 1842]
  71. Knowledge comes, but wisdom lingers, and I linger on the shore,
    And the individual withers, and the world is more and more.
  72. Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are —
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
  73. Theirs not to make reply,
    Theirs not to reason why,
    Theirs but to do and die:
    Into the valley of death
    Rode the six hundred.
    [from The Charge of the Light Brigade, 1854]

74. Terence (Publius Terentius Afer)
    (185 BC- 159 BC) Roman Playwright
  75. Fortis fortuna adiuvat.
    [Fortune assists the brave]
  76. While there's life, there's hope.
  77. Homo sum; humani nil a me alienum puto.
    [I am a man: I hold that nothing human is alien to me.]

78. Margaret Thatcher (Margaret Hilda Thatcher, Baroness Thatcher)
    (1925 - ) British Prime Minister; leader of the Conservative Party and first female Prime Minister, Chair of the G8
  79. I don't think there will be a woman Prime Minister in my lifetime. [1973]
  80. The men in the Soviet politburo don't have to worry about the ebb and flow of public opinion. They put guns before butter, while we put just about everything before guns. They know that they are a super power in only one sense—the military sense. They are a failure in human and economic terms. [1976]
  81. We are not in politics to ignore peoples' worries: we are in politics to deal with them. [1978]
  82. Pennies don't fall from heaven, they have to be earned here on earth. [1979]
  83. No-one would remember the Good Samaritan if he'd only had good intentions; he had money as well. [1980]
  84. I like Mr. Gorbachev. We can do business together. [1984]
  85. We must try to find ways to starve the terrorist and the hijacker of the oxygen of publicity on which they depend. [1985]
  86. A man may climb Everest for himself, but at the summit he plants his country's flag. [1988]
  87. Don't fall into the trap of imagining that the West can remake societies. [2002]
  88. Don't take public opinion for granted -- but don't either underrate the degree to which good people will endure sacrifices for a worthwhile cause. [2002]
  89. Never believe that technology alone will allow America to prevail as a superpower. [2002]
  90. For every idealistic peacemaker willing to renounce his self-defence in favour of a weapons-free world, there is at least one warmaker anxious to exploit the other's good intentions. [2002]
  91. Constitutions have to be written on hearts, not just paper. [2002]
  92. It may be the cock that crows, but it is the hen that lays the eggs.
  93. You may have to fight a battle more than once to win it.
  94. You don't tell deliberate lies, but sometimes you have to be evasive.
  95. If you want something said, ask a man; if you want something done, ask a woman.

96. Mother Theresa (Agnes Gonxha Bojaxhiu )
    (1910 - 1997) Albanian Roman Catholic Nun, founder of the Missionaries of Charity and supporter of the poor in Calcutta, India for 40 years; winner of the Nobel Peace Prize in 1979
  97. One must really have suffered oneself to help others.
  98. We can do no great things, only small things with great love.
  99. Be kind to those who surround you. I prefer that you make mistakes in kindness rather than that you work miracles in unkindness. Often just for one word, one look, one quick action, and darkness fills the heart of the one we love.
  100. Do not wait for leaders; do it alone, person to person.
  101. I have found the paradox that if I love until it hurts, then there is no hurt, but only more love.

H o m e  |  e-mail   |  Back  
©1994 - 2007 Stephen L. Spanoudis, All Rights Reserved Worldwide