The Quotations Home Page

Home | Poetry | Images | Spy | Trivia
Quotations
Quote Index | Descriptions | Search Suggestions

Alphabetical by Topic

Tact

1. Women and foxes, being weak, are distinguished by superior tact.
      --Ambrose Bierce

2. Silence is not always tact, and it is tact that is golden, not silence.
      --Samuel Butler

3. Tact consists in knowing how far to go too far.
      --Jean Cocteau

4. A timid question will always receive a confident answer.
      --Lord Darling

5. Without tact you can learn nothing.
      --Benjamin Disraeli

6. Tact: to lie about others as you would have them lie about you.
      --Oliver Herford

7. Be kind and considerate to others, depending somewhat upon who they are.
      --Don Herold

8. Don't flatter yourself that friendship authorizes you to say disagreeable things to your intimates. The nearer you come into relation with a person, the more necessary do tact and courtesy become.
      --Oliver Wendell Holmes

9. Tact: the ability to describe others as they see themselves.
      --Abraham Lincoln

10. Tact is one of the first mental virtues, the absence of which is often fatal to the best of talents; it supplies the place of many talents.
      --William Gillmore Simms

Talent

11. The luck of having talent is not enough; one must also have a talent for luck.
      --Hector Berlioz

12. Genius does what it must, talent does what it can.
      --Edward Bulwer-Lytton

13. Conciseness is the sister of talent.
      --Anton Checkhov

14. There is no substitute for talent. Industry and all its virtues are of no avail.
      --Aldous Huxley

15. Everyone has a talent. What is rare is the cpourage to follow the talent to the dark places where it leads.
      --Erica Jong

16. Grat talents are the most lovely and often the most dangerous fruits on the tree of humanity. They hang upon the most slender twigs that are easily snapped off.
      --Carl Jung

17. The crowning blessing of life -- to be born with a bias to some pursuit.
      --S.C. Tallentyre

Taste

18. One man's poison Ivy is another man's spinach.
      --George Ade

19. Everyone carries his own inch-rule of taste, and amuses himself by applying it, triumphantly, wherever he travels.
      --Henry Adams

20. Partial culture runs to the ornate; extreme culture to simplicity.
      --Christian Nestell Bovee

21. Bad taste is a species of bad morals.
      --Christian Nestell Bovee

22. Style is a simple way of saying complicated things.
      --Jean Cocteau

23. It is good taste, and good taste alone, that possesses the power to sterilize and is alwways the first handicap to any creative functioning.
      --Salvadore Dali

24. Taste is the feminine of genius.
      --Edward FitzGerald

25. I would rather be able to appreciate things I cannot have than to have things I am not able to appreciate.
      --Elbert Hubbard

26. Taste cannot be controlled by law.
      --Thomas Jefferson

27. We all have some taste or other, of too ancient a date to admit of our remembering it was an acquired one.
      --Charles Lamb

28. Good taste is the first refuge of the non-creative. It is the last-ditch stand of the artist.
      --marshall MacLuhan

29. No one ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public.
      --H. L. Mencken

30. have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful.
      --William Morris

31. Taste is the enemy of creativeness.
      --Pablo Picasso

32. Taste is, so to speak, the microscope of the judgment.
      --Jean Jacques Rousseau

33. Taste: a quality possessed by persons without originality or moral courage.
      --George Bernard Shaw

34. Good taste is the excuse I've always given for leading such a bad life.
      --Oscar Wilde

Tax

35. The Eiffel Tower is the Empire State Building after taxes.
      --Anonymous

36. Governments last as long as the undertaxed can defend themselves from the overtaxed.
      --Bernard Berenson

37. To tax and to please, no more than to love and to be wise, is not given to men.
      --Edmund Burke

38. Read my lips. No new taxes!
      --George Bush

39. Taxes are the sinews of the state.
      --Cicero

40. For every benefit you receive a tax is levied.
      --Ralph Waldo Emerson

41. I'm proud to pay taxes in the United States; the only thing is, I could be just as proud for half the money.
      --Arthur Godfrey

42. Death and taxes are inevitable.
      --Thomas C. Haliburton

43. The promises of yesterday are the taxes of today.
      --William Lyon MacKenzie King

44. The power to tax involves the power to destroy.
      --John Marshall

45. Next to being shot at and missed, nothing is quite as satisfying as an income tax refund.
      --F. J. Raymond

46. The income tax has made more liars out of the American people than golf has. Even when you make a tax form out on the level, you don't know when its through, if you are a crook or a martyr.
      --Will Rogers

47. What is the difference between a taxidermist and a tax collector? The taxidermist takes only your skin.
      --Mark Twain

48. Never before have so many been taken for so much and left with so little.
      --Van Panopoulos

49. The tax collector must love poor people--he's creating so many of them.
      --Bill Vaughan

50. The thing generally raised on city land is taxes.
      --Charles Dudley Warner

Teaching

51. A teacher affects eternity; he can never tell where his influence stops.
      --Henry Brooks Adams

52. The secret of teaching is to appear to have known all your life what you learned this afternoon.
      --

53. Teaching is not a lost art, but the regard for it is a lost tradition.
      --Jacques Barzun

54. A high-school teacher, afer all, is a person deputized by the rest of us to explain to the young what sort of world they are living in, and to defend, if possible, the part their elders are playing in it.
      --Emile Capouya

55. Who dares to teach must never cease to learn.
      --John Cotton Dana

56. Knowledge exists to be imparted.
      --Ralph Waldo Emerson

57. The man who can make hard things easy is the educator.
      --Ralph Waldo Emerson

58. You cannot teach a man anything; you can only help him find it within himself.
      --Galileo

59. The teacher is one who makes two ideas grow where only one grew before.
      --Elbert Hubbard

60. To teach is to learn twice.
      --Joseph Joubert

61. Most subjects at universities are taught for no other purpose than that they may be retaught when the students become teachers.
      --G. C. Lichtenberg

62. He who can, does. He who cannot, teaches.
      --George Bernard Shaw

63. What we want is to see the child in pursuit of knowledge, and not knowledge in pursuit of the child.
      --George Bernard Shaw

64. To be good is noble, but to teach others how to be good is nobler--and less trouble.
      --Mark Twain

65. Nothing that is worth knowing can be taught.
      --Oscar Wilde

66. The first duty of a lecturer--to hand you after an hour's discourse a nugget of pure truth to wrap up between the pages of your notebooks and keep on the mantlepiece forever.
      --Virginia Woolf

Technology

67. As nuclear and other technological achievements continue to mount, the normal life span will continue to climb. The hourly productivity of the worker will increase.
      --Dwight D. Eisenhower

68. The economic and technological triumphs of the past few years have not solved as many problems as we thought they would, and, in fact, have brought us new problems we did not foresee.
      --Henry Ford II

69. Where there is the necessary technical skill to move mountains, there is no need for the faith that moves mountains.
      --Eric Hoffer

70. What is more difficult, to think of an encampment on the moon or of Harlem rebuilt? Both are now within the reach of our resources. Both now depend upon human decision and human will.
      --Adlai E. Stevenson

Television

71. Time has convinced me of one thing: Television is for appearing on--not for looking at.
      --Noel Coward

72. Television is an invention that permits you to be entertained in your living room by people you wouldn't have in your home.
      --David Frost

73. The Television commercial is the most efficient power-packed capsule of education that appears anywhere on TV.
      --C. L. Gray

74. All television is educational television. The question is: what is it teaching?
      --Nicholas Johnson

75. Television -- a medium. So called because it is neither rare nor well-done.
      --Ernie Kovacs

76. Television has proved that people will look at anything rather than each other.
      --Ann Landers

77. Television is a corporate vulgarity.
      --John Leonard

78. Television is a gold goose that lays scrambled eggs; and it is futile and probably fatal to beat it for not laying caviar.
      --Lee Loevinger

79. Television is the literature of the illiterate, the culture of the low-brow, the wealth of the poor, the privilage of the underprivilaged, the exclusive club of the excluded masses.
      --Lee Loevinger

80. When television is good, nothing is better. But when television is bad, nothing is worse. I invite you to sit down in front of your TV set and keep your eyes glued to that set until the station signs off. I can assure you that you will observe a vast wasteland.
      --Newton Minnow

81. Television? The word is half Latin and half Greek. No good can come of it.
      --C.P. Scott

82. It is difficult to produce a television documentary that is both incisive and probing when every twelve minutes one is interrupted by twelve dancing rabbits singing about toilet paper.
      --Rod Serling

83. Television is now so desparately hungry for material that they're scraping the top of the barrel.
      --Gore Vidal

84. I hate television. I hate it as much as peanuts. But I can't stop eating peanuts.
      --Orson Welles

85. Television is chewing gum for the eyes.
      --Frank Loyd Wright

Temper

86. Men lose their tempers in defending their taste.
      --Ralph Waldo Emerson

87. Good temper is an estate for life.
      --William Hazlitt

88. A tart temper never mellows with age; and a sharp tongue is the only edged tool that grows keener with constant use.
      --Washington Irving

89. The happiness and misery of men depend no less on temper than fortune.
      --François de La Rochefoucauld

90. The worst-tempered people I've ever met were people who knew they were wrong.
      --Wilson Mizner

91. Nothing does reason more right, than the coolness of those that offer it: For Truth often suffers more by the heat of its defenders, than from the arguments of its opposers.
      --William Penn

92. Man is a rational animal who always loses his temper when called upon to act in accordance with the dictates of reason.
      --Oscar Wilde

Temptation

93. Better shun the bait than struggle in the snare.
      --John Dryden

94. As the Sandwich-Islander believes that the strength and valor of the enemy he kills passes into himself, so we gain the strength of the temptations we resist.
      --Ralph Waldo Emerson

95. He who cannot resist temptation is not a man.
      --Horace Mann

96. Temptation is an irresistible force at work on a moveable body.
      --H. L. Mencken

97. Things orbidden have a secret charm.
      --Tacitus

98. Temptation rarely comes in working hours. It is in their leisure hours that men are made or marred.
      --W. M. Taylor

99. It is easier to stay out than get out.
      --Mark Twain

100. There are several good protections against temptation, but the surest is cowardice.
      --Mark Twain

101. Few men have virtue to withstand the highest bidder.
      --George Washington

102. I generally avoid temptation unless I can't resist it.
      --Mae West

103. I can resist anything except temptation.
      --Oscar Wilde

104. The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. Resist it, and your soul grows sick with longing for the things it has forbidden to itself.
      --Oscar Wilde

Theology

105. Theology is a science of mind applied to God.
      --Henry Ward Beecher

106. Theology is but our ideas of truth classified and arranged.
      --Henry Ward Beecher

107. Let us put theology out of religion. Theology has always sent the worst to heaven, the best to hell.
      --Robert Green Ingersoll

108. Theologians always try to turn the Bible into a book without common sense.
      --G. C. Lichtenberg

109. Division has done more to hide Christ from the view of all men than all the infidelity that has ever been spoken.
      --George MacDonald

110. Theology is the effort to explain the unknowable in terms of the not worth knowing.
      --H. L. Mencken

111. My theology, briefly, is that the universe was dictated but not signed.
      --Christopher Morley

112. The best theology is rather a divine life than a divine knowledge.
      --Jeremy Taylor

113. As the grace grows nearer my theology is growing strangely simple, and it begins and ends with Christ as the only Savior of the lost.
      --Henry Benjamin Whipple

B A C K

©1994 Stephen L. Spanoudis, All Rights Reserved Worldwide

H o m e  |   e - m a i l