Poets' Corner Home Page . News and Recent Additions
Passion and Love
- A MAIDEN wept and, as a comforter,
- Came one who cried, "I love thee," and he seized
- Her in his arms and kissed her with hot breath,
- That dried the tears upon her flaming cheeks.
- While evermore his boldly blazing eye
- Burned into hers; but she uncomforted
- Shrank from his arms and only wept the more.
- Then one came and gazed mutely in her face
- With wide and wistful eye; but still aloof
- He held himself; as with a reverent fear,
- As one who knows some sacred presence nigh.
- And as she wept he mingled tear with tear,
- That cheered her soul like dew a dusty flower,--
- Until she smiled, approached, and touched his hand.
- Paul Laurence Dunbar
Poets' Corner .
H O M E .
©2000 Poets' Corner Editorial Staff, All Rights Reserved Worldwide