O C T O B E R
- Go as far as you can see, and when you get there, you will see farther.
- To unparted waters, undreamed shores.
-- William Shakespeare
- Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety.
-- Plato, from The Republic
- A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man.
- When a man boasts about what he'll do tomorrow we like to find out what he did yesterday.
- One person with a belief is equal to a force of 99 who have only interests.
-- John Stuart Mill
- Flowers are the poetry of earth, as stars are the poetry of heaven.
- First say to yourself what you would be, then do what you have to do.
- The wise see knowledge and action as one; they see truly.
-- Bhagava Gita
- It is only through the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.
-- Antoine de Saint-Exupery
- Draw in the breath of life, and as you breathe, smile.
- To fall in love is easy, even to remain in it is not difficult; our human loneliness is cause enough. But is a hard quest worth making to find a comrade through whose steady presence one becomes steadily the person one desires to be.
-- Anna Louise Strong
- I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
- A drop of water has the tastes of the water of the seven seas: there is no need to experience all the ways of worldly life. The reflections of the moon on one thousand rivers are from the same moon: the mind must be full of light.
-- Hung Tzu-ch'eng
- Some reckon time by stars,
And some by hours;
Some measure days by dreams
And some by flowers;
My heart alone records
My days and hours.
-- Madison J. Cawein,, from Some Reckon Time by Stars
- When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive--to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love.
-- Marcus Aurelius
- If you want truly to understand something, try to change it.
-- Kurt Lewin
- We must not allow other people's limited perceptions to define us.
-- Virginia Satir
- The world is your mirror and your mind is a magnet. What you perceive is in this world is largely a reflection of your own attitudes and beliefs. Life will give you what you attract with your thoughts think, act and talk negatively and your world will be negative. Think and act and talk with enthusiasm and you will attract positive results.
-- Michael LeBeuf
- When you say Yes, say it quickly. But always take a half hour to say No, so you can understand the other fellow's side.
-- Frances Cardinal Spellman
- The only conquests that are permanent and leave no regrets are our conquests over ourselves.
- Take a chance! All life is a chance. The man who goes farthest is generally the one who is willing to do and dare.
-- Dale Carnegie
- Use your own best judgment at all times.
-- The entire Nordstrom's Department Stores policy manual
- Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must set yourself on fire.
-- Reggie Leach
- Knowledge is not what you can remember, but what you cannot forget.
-- Irish saying
- Before the world finds a place for you, find a place for yourself in the world.
- No dream comes true until you wake up and go to work.
- He who chooses the beginning of a road chooses the place it leads to. It is the means that determine the end.
-- Harry Emerson Fosdick
- To reach a great height a person needs to have great depth.
- Four innate sentiments dispose people to a universal moral sense. These are sympathy, fairness, self-control and duty.
-- James Q Wilson