P.C. Home Page . Recent Additions
A B . C D .
E F . G H .
I J . K L .
M N . O P .
Q R . S T .
U V . W X .
- Hail, happy bride, for thou art truly blest!
- Three months of rapture, crowned with endless rest.
- Merit like yours was heaven's peculiar care,
- You loved yet tasted happiness sincere.
- To you the sweets of love were only shown,
- The sure succeeding bitter dregs unknown;
- You had not yet the fatal change deplored,
- The tender lover for th' imperious lord;
- Nor felt the pain that jealous fondness brings;
- Nor felt that coldness from possession springs.
- Above your sex, distinguished in your fate,
- You trusted yet experienced no deceit;
- Soft were your hours, and winged with pleasure flew;
- No vain repentance gave a sign to you:
- And if superior bliss heaven can bestow,
- With fellow angels you enjoy it now.
- Lady Mary Wortley Montagu
Poets' Corner .
H O M E .