- RATS undermined the wall,
- And while men slept
- The floods that basined in the hills, smiled at the day,
- Crept in by stealth and tore their bounds away:
- And onward swept
- Where busy towns in tranquil beauty kept
- The peace; and with the power of many waters pent
- Homes were engulfed and hills in twain were rent.
- Steeple and tower
- Fell toppling down, and in a breath
- Where happiness had dwelt, were devastation, woe and death,
- And these few words were written of the fall:
- While watchman slept
- Rats undermined the wall.
- Albert Annett