P.C. Home Page . Recent Additions
A B . C D .
E F . G H .
I J . K L .
M N . O P .
Q R . S T .
U V . W X .
- HOW beautiful, how beautiful you streamed upon my sight,
- In glory and in grandeur, as a gorgeous sunset-light!
- How softly, soul-subduing, fell your words upon mine ear,
- Like low aerial music when some angel hovers near!
- What tremulous, faint ecstasy to clasp your hand in mine,
- Till the darkness fell upon me of a glory too divine!
- The air around grew languid with our intermingled breath,
- And in your beauty's shadow I sank motionless as death.
- I saw you not, I heard not, for a mist was on my brain--
- I only felt that life could give no joy like that again.
- And this was Love, I knew it not, but blindly floated on,
- And now I'm on the ocean waste, dark, desolate, alone;
- The waves are raging round me--I'm reckless where they guide;
- No hope is left to right me, no strength to stem the tide.
- As a leaf along the torrent, a cloud across the sky,
- As dust upon the whirlwind, so my life is drifting by.
- The dream that drank the meteor's light--the form from Heav'n has flown--
- The vision and the glory, they are passing--they are gone.
- Oh! love is frantic agony, and life one throb of pain;
- Yet I would bear its darkest woes to dream that dream again.
- Jane Francesca Lady Wilde
Poets' Corner .
H O M E .