Longevity? You canít be beautiful and sexy forever. You can be funny.
--Dianne Keaton, Radio Interview, Feb 2004
One time my whole family played hide and seek. They found my mother in Pittsburgh.
If the facts do not conform to the theory, they must be disposed of.
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
--Philip K. Dick
Sometimes you got to hurt something to help something. Sometimes you have to plow under one thing in order for something else to grow.
--Ernest J. Gaines
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are. It is our choices.
--Richard Harris as Albus Dumbledore
Taran wanted to make a sword; but Coll, charged with the practical side of his education, decided on horse-shoes.
--The Book of Three, by Lloyd Alexander, 1964
H o m e | e - m a i l
- Recent Quotes - From books,
magazines, television, radio and a few online sources - an a good selection
of humor and irony.
I think one of the reasons I'm popular again is because I'm wearing a tie. You have to be different. - Tony Bennet
- Advice from many sources: some good, some bad, some great -- you'll have to judge for yourself.
Never eat anything at one sitting that you can't lift. - Miss Piggy
- A selection of philosophical and motivational quotes from Great Leaders.
Winning is a habit. Unfortuantely, so is losing. - Vince Lombardi
- The Poetry - Part I - the comprehensive Poets' Corner archive, containing thousands of complete works
For words, like Nature, half reveal
And half conceal the Soul within. - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
- Proverbial Wisdom - Volume I - Collected from around the globe. Some may be ancient, but are suprisingly timely...
It is good to know the truth, but it is better to speak of palm trees. - Arab Proverb
- Collected Sarcasm (or, if you prefer, "Wit").
The person who knows how to laugh at himself will never cease to be amused. -
- Annoying Proverbs (The ones that rate cliche status).
Look before you leap.
- Miscellaneous Malapropisms - Things that are, somehow, just not quite right...
Shhhh! I hear footprints.
- Quotes by Women - Balancing out some of the unintended bias elsewhere in the collection.
Do not call for black power or green power. Call for brain power. - Barbara Jordan
- Random Visions - A variety of color screen images with inspirational quotes.
Keep your fears to yourself, but share your inspiration with others. -
Robert Louis Stevenson
- Wisdom - Things that, one way or another, are just hard to argue with.
We must learn our limits. We are all something, but none of us are everything.
- Blaise Pascal
- Quotes from Poetry - Part II - Quotes excerpted from poetry.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.
- William Ernest Henley, [Invictus, 1888]
- Aphorisms - Universal (perhaps inescapable) truths.
Memory is the greatest of artists, and effaces from your mind what is unnecessary. -Maurice Baring
- Alternative Definitions - Other ways of looking at some commonly used words.
CONSCIENCE: The inner voice that warns us that someone may be looking. - H.L. Mencken
- A catalog of Observed and Empirical Laws - Selections from Mr Murphy and his friends.
Never worry about the bullet with your name on it. Instead, worry about shrapnel addressed to 'occupant'. - Murphy's Tenth Military Law
- A sometimes abrasive collection of Serious Sarcasm .
Seeing a murder on television can help work off one's antagonisms. And if you haven't any antagonisms, the commercials will give you some. - Alfred Hitchcock
- Alphabetical by Author - A collection of over 3,000 quotes arranged by author.
Never fight an inanimate object. - P. J. O'Rourke
- The Best of Anonymous - Anonymous who? (Why, some of my best friends are anonymous)
Horses just naturally have mohawk haircuts.
- Selections from William Shakespeare
A horse! a horse! my kingdom for a horse!. - from Richard III
- The Alphabetical Steven Wright - What a section to have after the Bard, eh?
When I woke up this morning my girlfriend asked me, "Did you sleep good?" I said, "No, I made a few mistakes."
- Quotations selected by Topic - A truely massive archive - the heart of the collection.
All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us...they can't get away this time. -Chesty Puller (USMC, when surrounded by 8 enemy divisions during the Korean War.)
- Quotations from The Republic of Dreams - the newest collection, with quotes from the book series.
Character is what you are in the dark. - Dwight L. Moody
- Since I'm begining to get lazy (or simply unable to organize the flood of information) the latest (time saving) category is unsorted Bulk Quotations - get 'em by the kilobyte.
You know you're over fifty when you sink your teeth into a steak and they stay there. - Anon.
- Childsong: The Lullaby of Life - another collection compiled by Bill King. This one is an anthology of children's verse collected and adapted by Bill King
I never saw a Purple Cow / I never hope to see one, / But I can tell you, anyhow, / I'd rather see than be one! - Gelett Burgess
- Stupid Quotations - Statements that range from the annoyingly obvious, to the not-well-thought-out, to things that lose a little in translation.
Caution: Cape does not enable user to fly. - Batman Costume warning label
- Good Starts - Sentences that begin well-known stories - a surprisingly interesting collection.
When a day that you happen to know is Wednesday starts off sounding like Sunday, there is something seriously wrong somewhere. - The Day of the Triffids, by John Wyndham
- African-American Expressions - Opinions, experiences, inspiration, and wisdom, in varied doses.
People see God every day, they just don't recognize him. - Pearl Bailey
- Film - Quotes taken from the movies.
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine. - Humphrey Bogart, from Cassablanca
- Quote-a-day Calendar - A sample of inspirational and motivational thoughts for each day of the year.
In matters of style, swim with the current; In matters of principle, stand like a rock.†-- Thomas Jefferson
- As Advertised - Everyone's least favorite advertising catch phrases, and some you probably never heard.
What Happens in Vegas stays in Vegas.- Las Vegas, Nevada Convention & Visitor Bureau
©1994 - 2007 Stephen L. Spanoudis, All Rights Reserved Worldwide